Thursday, June 19, 2008

Quick Rauchweizen update

It's been a busy week for me, so I was a little tardy in finally racking the Rauchweizen. Anyway, finally took care of things last night and racked to the keg after a whopping 18 days in the primary (good thing it's supposed to be cloudy). The aroma is much more prevalent than it was right after brewing... it's got that nice smoked ham aroma that you associate with Bamberg-style Rauchbiers. It's also heavier on the clove than the banana (as I intended), and the clove really works well with the smoke phenolics.

My only concern is the final gravity was a bit high at 1016. The mouthfeel seemed thin (though it's always hard for me to judge sans carbonation) so I don't think it's because of my mash temp. I'm wondering if I should start to worry about my aeration more, as this isn't the first time my beer finished a tad high despite pitching a healthy yeast starter. I'm also wondering if the light mouthfeel means I should have done at least a protein rest (I know I should really do a decoction, but I just don't have the equipment right now).

Anyway, it's currently chomping on a half-cup of corn sugar, so I'll probably give it a taste in a week. Stay tuned for a final report...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home